🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

Karnataka NEET aspirant found dead weeks after exam, police begin probe

An 18-year-old NEET aspirant from Karnataka’s Kalaburagi district allegedly died by suicide days after appearing for the medical entrance examination.

By Shaptadeep Saha

May 24, 2026 22:52 IST

An 18-year-old medical aspirant allegedly died by suicide in Karnataka’s Kalaburagi district, adding to a series of tragic incidents linked to stress surrounding the NEET-UG 2026 examination. The student, identified as Bhagyashree, had recently appeared for the highly competitive entrance test and had scored 92 percent in her Pre-University Course examinations.

According to police, Bhagyashree was found hanging from a ceiling fan at her apartment. Officials said no suicide note has been recovered so far. Police personnel visited the spot soon after the incident and began an investigation into the circumstances leading to her death.

Family members and neighbours were left shocked by the incident, especially as the teenager was considered academically bright and had been preparing seriously for a medical career.

Also Read | Cockroach Janta Party website taken down, Dipke alleges censorship push

Pressure around NEET under scrutiny

According to NDTV, the incident has once again drawn attention to the immense pressure faced by students preparing for competitive entrance examinations in India. Over the past few weeks, several reports of student suicides linked to the NEET-UG controversy have emerged from different states.

Earlier this month, a NEET aspirant in Rajasthan allegedly died by suicide after the cancellation of the examination. The student’s family claimed he had performed well in the test and was expecting a high score, but became deeply distressed after the exam was scrapped.

The student, identified as Pradeep Meghwal, had been preparing for the medical entrance examination at a private coaching institute in Sikar for the last three years while living with his sisters.

Also Read | Scorching Delhi heat leaves birds falling, street animals fighting survival

Exam cancellation sparked nationwide concern

According to NDTV, the National Testing Agency cancelled the NEET-UG 2026 examination earlier this month following allegations of irregularities and a paper leak. The decision affected more than 22 lakh aspirants across the country and triggered uncertainty among students and parents.

The cancellation led to widespread protests and anxiety among candidates who had spent months preparing for the examination. Mental health experts and education activists have since raised concerns about the emotional toll such disruptions can have on students.

Also Read | Delhi swelters at 42.7C as IMD warns of severe heatwave; red alert in 3 states

Re-exam scheduled for June

According to NDTV, Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan later announced that the NEET-UG re-examination would be conducted on June 21. He also said the entrance examination would move to a computer-based format from next year in an effort to improve transparency and security.

Authorities in Karnataka said further investigation into Bhagyashree’s death is ongoing.

Articles you may like: