🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

Gunfire near White House triggers lockdown as Trump holds Iran peace talks

Law enforcement responded after gunshots were reported near the White House on Saturday, as journalists rushed to shelter and agencies verified the incident.

By Sarwesh Sri Bardhan

May 24, 2026 05:02 IST

Multiple gunshots were reported near the White House on May 23, 2026, triggering a rapid security response from the Secret Service, the FBI and other law enforcement agencies in Washington, D.C.

Reporters on site said they heard sustained gunfire and were directed to move into the press briefing room, while the White House itself was placed on lockdown. At the time of the incident, President Donald Trump was inside the White House, according to multiple reports.

Also Read | Trump says Iran peace framework is ‘largely negotiated’ amid pushback

Officials move with uncommon haste

FBI Director Kash Patel said agents were already on the scene. “FBI is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds – we will update the public as we’re able,” he posted.

The Secret Service said it was aware of reports of shots fired near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW and was working to corroborate the information with personnel on the ground, according to reporting cited by The Guardian and Reuters.

The location is adjacent to the White House complex, and the agencies said they were still verifying the source of the gunfire.

Trump’s Iran talks remain in view

The incident unfolded while Trump was in the Oval Office and engaged in talks related to Iran. In a social media post Trump said he was in the Oval Office after a call with regional leaders and that “An Agreement has been largely negotiated,” while also saying the final details were being discussed.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang said the sound of gunfire interrupted her reporting and that it “sounded like dozens of gunshots,” adding, “We were told to sprint to the press briefing room, where we are holding now.” NBC’s Julie Tsirkin also reported that the White House was on lockdown after what sounded like “approximately 20-30” shots.

Also Read | Kalshi and Polymarket face US House scrutiny over suspicious insider betting activity

The source remains a mystery

As of the initial reports, authorities had not publicly identified the source of the gunfire, and officials were still working to verify the accounts from the ground. No injuries had been reported at the time, while the Secret Service is investigating the reports near the White House. Further details are expected as federal and local agencies continued their review.

Articles you may like: