US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio have projected momentum in negotiations with Iran, but no final agreement is ready for signature.
Trump said on Saturday that Washington and Tehran had âlargely negotiatedâ a memorandum of understanding, while later saying he had told his representatives ânot to rush into any dealâ and that the U.S. blockade in the Strait of Hormuz would stay in place until an agreement was âreached, certified, and signed.â
Also Read | Trump says Iran peace framework is âlargely negotiatedâ amid pushback
đ¨ NOW: It's been revealed that Donald Trump is HOLDING 100% FIRM on his America First Iran deal despite the doubters
— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) May 24, 2026
"The US will NOT roll over on any issues and that the instincts of the President is that Iran could take another five, six or seven days to get it right."
NO⌠pic.twitter.com/Z1eBOELhLo
Good news is promised, but not yet served
Rubio, speaking in New Delhi on Saturday, said progress had been made in the previous 48 hours on an outline that could help resolve the crisis around the Strait of Hormuz and added that there could be âgood newsâ in the next few hours.
He also reiterated that Iran could never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon and described attacks on commercial vessels as âtotally illegal.â His comments came during talks with Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, where the two sides also discussed trade, visas, maritime security, and energy supplies.
BREAKING: Two sources close to Trump's negotiation team say Trump is now completely backing away from the US-Iran deal, under "extreme internal pressure from Israel and its US domestic allies," urging him not to accept Iranâs terms. After this, Trump posted an image of Mark 84⌠pic.twitter.com/7PWUMZIOG4
— The Hormuz Letter (@HormuzLetter) May 24, 2026
Not quite a done deal
Even so, Reuters said a senior U.S. administration official did not expect an agreement to be signed on Sunday, saying the Iranian system did not move fast enough.
The official said Iran had agreed âin principleâ to reopen the strait in exchange for the lifting of the US naval blockade but added that the details of the nuclear measures would take more time.
A separate report from CNN said several major components of the proposed arrangement were still under discussion and that a formal agreement was not expected despite Trumpâs claims of progress.
Knots remain
The Iranian-linked Tasnim news agency said the U.S. was still obstructing parts of a potential deal, including Tehranâs demand for the release of frozen funds.
The two sides remain divided over Iranâs nuclear ambitions, sanctions relief, and the fate of frozen oil revenues. The negotiations also have regional implications. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Trump Israel would keep freedom of action against threats in Lebanon and that Trump would not sign a final agreement without dismantling Iranâs nuclear program and removing enriched uranium from its territory.