A man who opened fire near the White House on Saturday had earlier described himself as “the real” Osama bin Laden and posted threats targeting US President Donald Trump, according to a report by CNN. The suspect, identified in media reports as 21-year-old Nasire Best, was shot dead by the US Secret Service after the incident.
Authorities have not officially confirmed the identity of the gunman.
Previously on Secret Service radar
Court records cited in reports indicate that Best was already on the radar of the Secret Service. He had reportedly been seen multiple times around the White House complex, often approaching officers and asking questions about how to enter through different access points.
Also Read | Who was Nasire Best? 21-year-old named White House shooting suspect by Secret Service
Investigators reviewing his online activity found posts in which he referred to himself as “the real” Osama bin Laden and expressed hostility toward Trump. Osama bin Laden was the founder of Al-Qaeda and was linked to several major attacks, including the September 11 attacks.
Preliminary statement regarding the shooting incident on 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. pic.twitter.com/NOdFKmwVuU
— U.S. Secret Service Office of Communications (@SecretSvcSpox) May 24, 2026
Claims of being ‘God’ and ‘Jesus Christ’
Reports also suggest a pattern of erratic behaviour. In June 2025, Best was taken for a mental health evaluation after allegedly blocking vehicles near the White House, according to New York Post. A month later, he reportedly entered a restricted area again despite warnings.
Court documents say he told officers he was “God” and “Jesus Christ” and even asked to be arrested. A judge later ordered him to stay away from the White House complex. Officials described him as emotionally disturbed, though they noted he had not previously been seen carrying weapons or acting violently. These details have not been independently verified.
Authorities have identified the suspect involved in the shooting near the White House as 21 year old Nasire Best. pic.twitter.com/DA1tSPKgeQ
— 🅽🅴🆁🅳🆈 Investigates Investigators (@Nerdy_Addict) May 24, 2026
What happened during the shooting?
The shooting unfolded near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW shortly after 6 pm local time. Witnesses reported that the man appeared to be pacing before approaching a security checkpoint around 6:10 pm.
He allegedly fired three shots, prompting Secret Service agents to respond with gunfire. At least one bystander was seriously injured in the exchange. No agents were hurt. The suspect was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died.
Also Read | White House shooting: Gunman opens fire near checkpoint while Trump inside - Here’s all we know
The White House complex was placed under lockdown for about 30 minutes. Journalists on site were rushed to secure areas. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang said reporters heard what sounded like “dozens of gunshots” and were instructed to run into the press briefing room.
Trump hails Secret Service’s ‘swift and professional’ response
Trump was inside the White House at the time and was not injured. He was later briefed on the situation.
In a post on Truth Social, he praised the response of security agencies, calling it “swift and professional action.” He added that the gunman had a “violent history” and a “possible obsession” with the White House.
“This event is one month removed from the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting, and goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C. The National Security of our Country demands it,” Trump said.
“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House…” - President Donald J. Trump pic.twitter.com/PCfmZgSC1w
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 24, 2026
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and local police are assisting the Secret Service in the ongoing investigation.