Iran on Thursday warned that US bases, facilities and assets would be "legitimate targets" if the United States carries out its military threats and attacks, reported France 24.
Amir Saeid Iravani, the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, made this statement in a letter to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and the president of the Security Council, France 24 report said.
President Donald Trump has sent warships, fighter jets and other military equipment to the Middle East as he aims to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear bomb, something Tehran insists it is not pursuing.
Also Read | Nigeria mine explosion leaves over three dozen dead, several others injured
The letter referenced a social media post by Trump on Wednesday. In it, he mentioned that the United States might need to use UK military bases, including one on an Indian Ocean island, if Iran decides not to reach an agreement.
"Such a belligerent statement by the President of the United States...signals a real risk of military aggression, the consequences of which would be catastrophic for the region and would constitute a grave threat to international peace and security," Iravani wrote in the letter, as quoted by France 24.
Trump's military actions for Iran
Hindustan Times quoted experts saying that Trump likely has several military options, including targeted strikes on Iran’s air defenses or attacks aimed at Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. However, they caution that Iran could respond differently than it did after U.S. or Israeli strikes last year. This could endanger American lives and spark a larger regional war.
"It will be very hard for the Trump administration to do a one-and-done kind of attack in Iran this time," said Ali Vaez, an Iran expert at the International Crisis Group was quoted as saying by Hindustan Times. "The Iranians would respond in a way that would make all-out conflict inevitable."
Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to pressure Iran into agreeing to limits on its nuclear program and earlier over Tehran’s violent crackdown on nationwide protests.
Meanwhile, Iran on Thursday conducted its annual military drills with Russia. This came after a second US aircraft carrier moved closer to the Middle East, according to an AP report.
'10-15 days enough time for Iran to reach a deal'
US President Donald Trump on Thursday said he believes 10 to 15 days is "enough time" for Iran to reach a deal.
Also Read | Peace talks between Ukraine and Russia end abruptly; Ukraine says Russia 'dragging out' war negotiations
However, the talks have been stalled for years. Iran has refused to consider broader U.S. and Israeli demands that it limit its missile program and cut ties to armed groups. Recent indirect talks showed little clear progress. One or both sides may be delaying to prepare for potential conflict, AP reported.
Iran agrees to draw written proposal to address US concerns
Iran has agreed to create a written proposal to address US concerns raised during this week’s indirect nuclear talks in Geneva, according to a report by AP citing a senior official who spoke anonymously.
The official indicated that top national security officials met on Wednesday to discuss Iran. They were informed that the necessary resources for potential military action are expected to be ready by mid-March. The official did not specify when Iran is expected to provide its written response.