CDC and federal partners are implementing proactive public health measures to help prevent the introduction of Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo virus (BDBV) into the United States. These actions include enhanced traveler screening and monitoring, coordination with airlines and pic.twitter.com/ecUgzoAzhE
” CDC (@CDCgov) May 18, 2026
The United States has announced tighter health precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola after one American citizen contracted the virus following exposure in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The measures, announced on Monday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), include airport screening for travelers arriving from affected regions and temporary visa restrictions linked to countries facing the outbreak.
Also Read | 'No nuclear weapons for...': Trump halts Iran attack for now, warns military action still possible
One American tests positive for Ebola
During a media briefing, Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, confirmed the infection.
“The person developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday,” Pillai said.
TEMPORARY PAUSE OF VISA OPERATIONS: Effective May 18, 2026: In light of the ongoing Ebola outbreak, the U.S. Embassy has temporarily paused all visa services. Affected visa applicants have been notified. Please see our website for more details: https://t.co/jwXcNQH5Mq pic.twitter.com/5bhiBeh4Fr
” U.S. Embassy Uganda (@USEmbassyUganda) May 18, 2026
According to the CDC, the infected individual was exposed while working in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Officials said arrangements were being made to transfer the patient to Germany for treatment.
Pillai also stated that the US government was trying to evacuate six additional people for health monitoring.
New travel and visa restrictions
The latest public health steps come after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak in the DRC an international health emergency.
In response, the CDC said passengers arriving from outbreak-affected regions would face additional airport screening measures.
Also Read | US backs India’s defence strength with Apache, M777 support; boosts defence ties
The agency also announced entry restrictions for non-US passport holders who had travelled to Uganda, the DRC or South Sudan within the previous 21 days.
Meanwhile, the US embassy in Kampala temporarily suspended all visa services. Officials said affected applicants had already been informed.
CDC says public risk remains low
“At this time, CDC assesses the immediate risk to the general US public as low, but we will continue to evaluate the evolving situation and may adjust public health measures as additional information becomes available,” the agency said in a statement.
The CDC added that around 25 staff members are currently working in its field office in the DRC, and more personnel could be deployed to support containment efforts.
CDC and federal partners are implementing proactive public health measures to help prevent the introduction of Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo virus (BDBV) into the United States. These actions include enhanced traveler screening and monitoring, coordination with airlines and pic.twitter.com/ecUgzoAzhE
” CDC (@CDCgov) May 18, 2026
Rising cases in Congo
According to Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba, 91 reported deaths are suspected to be linked to the current outbreak. Around 350 suspected cases have been reported so far.
Most of those affected are between 20 and 39 years old, with women accounting for more than 60 per cent of cases.
Health officials have said there is currently no vaccine or specific treatment available for the strain behind the ongoing outbreak.