Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends rescue teams and relief supplies to Sri Lanka under major aid mission

India launches Operation Sagar Bandhu, airlifting 21 tonnes of relief material and 80+ rescuers to Sri Lanka after Cyclone Ditwah floods trigger landslides, widespread destruction and loss of lives.

By Surjosnata Chatterjee

Nov 29, 2025 13:26 IST

As Cyclone Ditwah causes fatal floods and landslides in Sri Lanka, India has launched a significant humanitarian effort to help the island. Under Operation Sagar Bandhu, emergency supplies, rescue personnel and equipment are being flown and shipped to Colombo to support ongoing relief efforts.

Early Saturday, the Indian Air Force (IAF) transported 21 tonnes of essential material along with over 80 NDRF personnel and eight tonnes of rescue equipment, reinforcing India’s rapid response to the crisis. The relief flight, operated by a C-130 and an IL-76 aircraft, took off from Hindon Air Base late Friday and landed at Bandaranaike International Airport around 1:30 am, where Sri Lankan and Indian High Commission officials received the consignment.

Also Read | Airbus issues emergency update for A320s: Here's what it means for IndiGo and Air India flyers

IAF, Navy mobilised as flood toll rises sharply

The IAF said the assistance reflects India’s commitment to stand by Sri Lanka during a time of widespread devastation. The airlift followed the first tranche of aid delivered on Friday by INS Vikrant and INS Udaygiri, which had sailed with food supplies, medicines and emergency materials to Colombo.

Cyclone Ditwah has triggered severe flooding and landslides across multiple districts, cutting off access roads and overwhelming local disaster-response systems. Sri Lanka’s Disaster Management Centre (DMC) has reported:

123 deaths

130 people missing

Over 200,000 people affected across 61,000 families

Kandy, Badulla and central highland regions have been among the worst hit, with local officials warning that casualty numbers may rise as rescue agencies reach previously inaccessible areas.

Storm aftermath leaves millions without power

Heavy rain continues to batter the island, leading to breaches in major reservoirs and rivers. Authorities have issued fresh evacuation advisories as water levels remain dangerously high.

Nearly 35% of Sri Lanka has been left without electricity after the cyclone knocked out infrastructure belonging to the Ceylon Electricity Board, affecting almost seven million consumers. Restoration work has been hampered by inundated substations, blocked approach roads and ongoing landslides.

The Sri Lankan Meteorological Department has forecast over 200 mm of additional rain, even though the system is expected to drift away from the island by late Saturday.

Also Read | Aadhaar no longer valid as proof of birth in UP, Maharashtra: Here’s why it changed

India’s ‘neighbourhood first’ in action

With local rescue teams stretched thin, India’s swift mobilisation of air and naval support is expected to provide crucial backup to Sri Lanka’s recovery operations. The IAF said the relief effort “reaffirms India’s commitment to the Neighbourhood First policy,” adding that more consignments will be sent depending on the requirements shared by Sri Lankan authorities.

As the humanitarian crisis deepens, Operation Sagar Bandhu stands out as one of the largest immediate-response missions launched by India in the region in recent years.

Prev Article
Airbus issues emergency update for A320s: Here's what it means for IndiGo and Air India flyers
Next Article
Pedal Power for Mental Wellness: Thousands cycle at Mumbai Cyclothon 2025

Articles you may like: