Indian football head coach Khalid Jamil on Saturday accepted full responsibility for India’s disappointing loss to Bangladesh and said that the Indian Super League needs to restart soon to stop the national team’s steep decline. India, who are winless in five straight Asian Cup qualifying matches, have dropped to 142 in the FIFA rankings: their lowest in nearly ten years. The 0-1 defeat in Dhaka was also India’s first loss to Bangladesh in more than two decades.
“Last match result, I don't blame Shabbir (Ali) sir, IM Vijayan, Kalyan sir, who supported me. I take the full responsibility,” Khalid said during a media interaction at the Kolkata Press Club.
ALSO READ | IND Vs SA 1st ODI: When and where to watch the match LIVE?
India’s recent 1-2 loss to Singapore had already ended their Asian Cup hopes. The Blue Tigers have fallen 40 places since December 2023, when they were ranked 102. Khalid said the ranking reflects the team’s performance over the last five years. “Ranking doesn't matter but we must win which didn't happen in the last game. We must try very hard,” he said.
ISL delay hurting preparations
Indian football’s struggles come at a time when the ISL has been inactive for more than 200 days due to unresolved issues between the AIFF and FSDL. The I-League is also suspended, affecting clubs, recruitment, salaries, and jobs across the football ecosystem.
When asked about the impact of the ISL delay, Khalid said: “We shouldn't give any excuse, but it would have been better if the ISL happened on time… I feel ISL jitna jaldi start hoga utna achha hai.”
Despite uncertainty around India’s participation in the 2026 Asian Games, he remained hopeful: “We will participate, we must think positive.”
Hope for new talents
Khalid said India must expand its talent pool by bringing in more overseas Indians and promoting younger players. “We are thinking about inducting more under-23 players… who is doing well, we must take him.”
Australia’s Ryan Williams has now joined the Indian team, and Khalid wants more such players. “Indian overseas (players) with Indian passport… it would definitely improve performance.”
ALSO READ | Mohun Bagan training delayed as Sergio Lobera awaits visa clearance
On Mohun Bagan not releasing players, Khalid said the matter is closed but stressed national duty: “We must think positively… who wants to represent India from the heart must play.”
India’s star striker Sunil Chhetri, who came out of retirement for the qualifiers, has now informed the federation that he is done with international football.