🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

Why were three micro-observers suspended in Bengal? Here’s what EC says

Amid the SIR deployment row in Bengal, the Election Commission has suspended three micro-observers over alleged negligence.

By Pritha Chakraborty

Feb 18, 2026 12:45 IST

As the standoff continues over the posting of 6,500-plus central officers for the Special Intensive Revision of electoral rolls in West Bengal, the Election Commission (EC) has acted against three micro-observers, suspending them for alleged lapses in their "statutory duties."

The action was taken on Tuesday following a report submitted by district electoral roll observers.

Suspension follows observers’ report

The three suspended officials: two bank managers and one Central GST (CGST) inspector, were posted in North 24 Parganas.

A senior EC official said the decision was based on findings submitted by ECI-appointed district roll observers.

Also Read | 'AI being used to delete names': Bengal minister Birbaha Hansda slams EC, alleges harassment of people over SIR

In a post on X (formerly Twitter), West Bengal Chief Electoral Officer Manoj Agarwal wrote, “On the report of ECI-appointed district roll observers, 3 (three) micro-observers have been suspended by the chief electoral officer, West Bengal, on Tuesday afternoon. Electoral Roll Micro Observers (ERMOs), being on deputation to the ECI, are directed to perform their duties diligently and not to outsource or delegate their work to anyone else, failing which they will be liable for the consequences.”

Allegations of negligence

As per a report by The Times of India, sources said complaints against the three officials had been surfacing for some time. Although they reportedly marked their presence as being on duty, it was found that they were not carrying out assigned tasks and would allegedly sign off and leave. These details were mentioned in the district roll observer’s report.

Departmental proceedings are expected to be initiated against the suspended officials by their respective parent departments, as the EC stated. The inquiry must be completed within six months. Any final decision, whether disciplinary action is taken or not, will require prior approval from the EC.

Also Read | 'AI used for voter deletions': Mamata Banerjee launches scathing attack at ECI, calls it 'Tughlaqi Commission'

Clear warning from the Commission

The EC has directed that suspension and departmental investigations begin immediately and that the progress of the inquiries be reported regularly to the Commission.

During a virtual meeting with district magistrates last Friday, Chief Election Commissioner Gyanesh Kumar underscored accountability. “There will be no negligence in work, and intentional mistakes will not be tolerated,” he said.

Prev Article
'AI being used to delete names': Bengal minister Birbaha Hansda slams EC, alleges harassment of people over SIR
Next Article
West Bengal CEO to issue show-cause notices to EROs, AEROs over 1.14 lakh unuploaded voter documents in SIR

Articles you may like: