🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

F-35s, Reaper drones and fighter jets: How did the US lose dozens of aircraft in the Iran conflict?

The report stated that the total number could rise further because of ongoing combat activity, classification issues and challenges related to attribution.

By Trisha Katyayan

May 21, 2026 10:06 IST

At least 42 United States military aircraft, including fighter jets, drones and support aircraft, were lost or damaged during the war in Iran, according to a report by the Congressional Research Service (CRS) cited by NDTV.

The report stated that the total number could rise further because of ongoing combat activity, classification issues and challenges related to attribution. The CRS compiled the assessment using statements from the US Department of Defence, US Central Command (CENTCOM) and multiple news reports.

Also Read | Flying with weed in the US is now easier — with conditions

The conflict began on February 28, when the United States and Israel launched coordinated strikes on Iranian targets. The attacks reportedly killed several senior figures, including Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Fighter jets, drones among aircraft affected

The CRS report cited by NDTV listed a wide range of damaged or destroyed aircraft during the conflict. These included four F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets, one F-35A Lightning II fighter aircraft and one A-10 Thunderbolt II ground-attack aircraft.

The losses also included seven KC-135 Stratotanker aerial refuelling aircraft, one E-3 Sentry airborne warning and control system aircraft, two MC-130J Commando II special operations aircraft and one HH-60W Jolly Green II combat rescue helicopter.

A significant number of unmanned aircraft were also reportedly affected. According to the report, the US lost 24 MQ-9 Reaper drones and one MQ-4C Triton surveillance drone during the fighting.

Pentagon estimates rising operational cost

The report comes shortly after the Pentagon said military operations against Iran under Operation Epic Fury had already cost nearly $29 billion.

"A lot of that increase comes from having a refined estimate on repair or replacement costs for equipment," said Pentagon finance chief Jules Hurst III during a May 12 hearing.

So far, the US Department of Defence has not released any official comprehensive assessment of combat losses linked to the Iran war.

Also Read | 'They want to make a deal so badly': Trump says Iran war will end ‘very quickly’ amid fresh US warning

Iran issues warning after report surfaces

Iranian foreign minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi shared the CRS findings on X and warned that Tehran had learned from the conflict.

"Months after initiation of war on Iran, US Congress acknowledges loss of dozens of aircraft worth billions. Our powerful Armed Forces are confirmed as 1st to strike down a touted F-35. With lessons learned and knowledge we gained, return to war will feature many more surprises," he said.

Articles you may like: