West Bengal’s Falta Assembly Constituency is voting again today, May 21, after the Election Commission (EC) ordered a fresh poll, saying the earlier election process had seen a “subversion of the democratic process”.
The seat had originally gone to polls on April 29, but the Election Commission later annulled the exercise following allegations of large-scale irregularities and violations across several polling stations.
Security stepped up for repoll
Security arrangements in Falta have been significantly strengthened for the repoll. According to a senior Election Commission official quoted by PTI, eight Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) personnel will now be stationed at every polling booth, double the number deployed during the earlier election.
Also Read | CM Suvendu Adhikari holds high-level Nabanna meeting on Bengal law and order, governance
“The poll panel does not want to leave any room for irregularities this time. Security arrangements have therefore been significantly strengthened,” the official told PTI.
#WATCH | South 24 Parganas, West Bengal: Polling begins in Falta Assembly Constituency. Votes will be counted on May 24.
— ANI (@ANI) May 21, 2026
The re-poll across all 285 polling stations in 144-Falta Assembly Constituency, after irregularities were reported in the polling during the West Bengal… pic.twitter.com/po9IgqAGRo
Falta has 285 polling booths, and nearly 35 companies of Central forces have been deployed for the repoll. In addition, 30 quick response teams will remain on standby to respond to any disturbance during voting hours.
The Election Commission has also expanded surveillance measures. Two web cameras will be installed inside each polling booth and one outside, while live webcasting will monitor both the voting process and surrounding areas.
“Monitoring will be conducted from the offices of the District Election Officer (DEO) and the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO),” the official said. Drone surveillance is also being considered. Three election observers have been assigned to oversee the polling process.
Also Read | TMC's Jahangir Khan announces withdrawal from Falta repoll two days before voting
TMC candidate withdraws
Ahead of the repoll, Trinamool Congress (TMC) candidate Jahangir Khan announced his withdrawal from the contest.
“I dreamt that Falta should become golden Falta. The chief minister has said that a special package would be announced for Falta. That is why I am stepping aside from contesting the repoll,” Khan said.
“I am the son of the soil. I am stepping aside to ensure peace and prosperity for Falta and for its people,” he added.
Why the Election Commission ordered repoll
The repoll decision followed a report submitted by special observer Sujeet Mishra after reviewing CCTV footage from polling stations in the constituency.
Election officials at deployment activities for Falta Assembly Constituency re-election. File image/ANI The report flagged missing footage at several booths and cited multiple alleged violations. At polling station 229, no video footage was reportedly available from the start of polling till 3:14 pm. Similar gaps were reported at polling station 177 during multiple time windows.
Hindustan Times quoted the report as saying, "Serious allegations of intimidation and voter obstruction remained unverified due to missing footage.”
Where cameras functioned, the observer noted several irregularities, including alleged proxy voting and repeated entry into voting compartments by the same individuals. The report concluded that 60 out of Falta’s 285 polling stations had been vitiated during the earlier election.