🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

Coimbatore horror: 10-year-old girl abducted, murdered after stepping out for groceries; 2 held

The abduction and murder of a 10-year-old girl in Coimbatore has sparked outrage in Tamil Nadu, triggering protests, political attacks, and demands for swift justice.

By Agniv Chowdhury

May 23, 2026 17:07 IST

A 10-year-old girl who went out to buy groceries in Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore district was allegedly abducted and murdered, sending shockwaves across the state. The incident has also intensified political tensions, with Opposition parties questioning law and order.

Girl found dead after going missing

The girl was missing since Thursday evening from the Sulur area in Coimbatore. Police later found her body with injuries near Kannampalayam lake on Friday, per a report by NDTV.

According to investigators, the child had stepped out to buy groceries near her home when she was allegedly abducted. Police have arrested two accused, identified as Karthik and Mohan Raj, in connection with the case.

The incident triggered protests outside the Sulur police station, where the victim’s family and relatives demanded justice. Hundreds of local residents and students also reportedly joined roadblock demonstrations.

Also Read | 'Trying to recover it but unable to': Cockroach Janta Party founder says Instagram account 'hacked'

A relative of the victim, Senthil Kumar, told ANI, “We don't know what could have happened; we only received information late Friday evening. First, they said the girl was missing, but later they said she was found dead on the lake shore. Following that, hundreds of students and the public staged a roadblock protest seeking justice”, as per NDTV reports.

Family seeks assurance from the chief minister

The victim’s family initially refused to accept the body from the mortuary, seeking a statement from the chief minister. A family member told ANI, “We will not take the body until we get a statement from the chief minister. We voted for change. Now, he is not even giving a statement or assurance. This shows that there will be no change after the new government as well.”

Tamil Nadu DGP Sandeep Rai Rathore reached Coimbatore to review the investigation. State minister MS Sampath, after meeting the family, said, “The accused will be given the strictest punishment", according to NDTV.

Chief Minister Vijay later reacted to the incident, calling it “inhuman and unforgivable”. He assured that police had been directed to conduct a swift investigation and ensure strong legal action against those responsible.

Also Read | Scorching Delhi summer triggers widespread complaints of water shortages

Political blame game intensifies

The case soon turned political, with the DMK attacking the ruling TVK government over rising crime. Leader of Opposition Udhayanidhi Stalin said that more than 30 major crimes had been reported within 12 days of the new government taking office.

In a social media post, he said, “Within just 12 days of the new government assuming office, more than 30 major incidents - including sexual violence, ganja smuggling, rowdyism, unruly behaviour and excesses by ruling party members, and now the abduction and murder of a girl in [near] Coimbatore - have made headlines, casting serious doubts on the State's law and order.”

Articles you may like: