Sri Lanka floods: 123 dead, 130 missing after cyclone Ditwah’s triggers massive rains

Cyclone Ditwah has killed 123 people and left 130 missing in Sri Lanka, as flooding forces nearly 44,000 residents into state-run shelters.

By Surjosnata Chatterjee

Nov 29, 2025 16:22 IST

At least 123 people have died and 130 remain missing in Sri Lanka after torrential rains and widespread flooding triggered by Cyclone Ditwah, according to figures released by the country’s Disaster Management Centre (DMC). The update was reported by Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Saturday.

DMC Director General Sampath Kotuwegoda said that nearly 44,000 people have been relocated to state-run welfare centres after their homes were destroyed during a week of relentless rainfall. He added that rescue and relief operations, supported by Sri Lanka’s armed forces, continue across affected districts.

Also Read | Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends rescue teams and relief supplies to Sri Lanka under maj or aid mission

Cyclone’s impact worsens flooding

AFP reported that although the weather system began affecting the island on Monday, Cyclone Ditwah made landfall on Wednesday, unleashing record rainfall nationwide. The cyclone has since moved away toward India, but its residual bands continued to bring showers to parts of northern Sri Lanka.

Flooding intensified in low-lying areas on Saturday, prompting authorities to issue evacuation orders for communities along the Kelani River. The river, which flows through Colombo to the Indian Ocean, burst its banks on Friday evening, forcing hundreds into temporary shelters, the DMC said.

While rains have subsided in many parts of the country including the capital, authorities warn that the overall flooding could exceed levels recorded in 2016, when 71 people were killed nationwide.

India sends aid as rescue operations expand

According to the AFP report, India dispatched a planeload of relief supplies early Saturday for residents affected by the flooding. Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed condolences over the deaths in Sri Lanka and said New Delhi was prepared to send additional assistance.

“We stand ready to provide more aid and assistance as the situation evolves,” Modi wrote on X.

Sri Lanka’s government has deployed military helicopters, boats, and ground teams to bolster evacuation efforts and reach marooned communities.

Also Read | Hong Kong high-rise fire death toll rises to 94; Hundreds still feared missing

AFP noted that this week’s death toll is Sri Lanka’s highest from weather-related events since June last year, when 26 people died following heavy rains. In December, 17 people were killed in flooding and landslides.

The island’s worst flooding since 2000 occurred in June 2003, when 254 people lost their lives.

Prev Article
Hong Kong high-rise fire death toll rises to 94; Hundreds still feared missing
Next Article
Gaza casualties exceed 70,000 amid ongoing Israeli strikes even after ceasefire

Articles you may like: