🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

Delhi HC raps WFI, seeks Vinesh Phogat’s entry into Asian Games trials

The Delhi HC took sharp exception to WFI’s action against Vinesh Phogat and sought expert review of her Asian Games trial eligibility.

By Sarwesh Sri Bardhan

May 23, 2026 01:24 IST

The Delhi High Court on Friday sharply criticised the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) over its decision to declare wrestler Vinesh Phogat ineligible for domestic competitions and moved to secure her participation in the Asian Games selection trials scheduled for May 30 and 31.

A bench of Chief Justice D.K. Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia asked the Centre to constitute an expert panel to assess her case and directed officials to ensure that she is allowed to take part in the trials.

Also Read | Centre to SC: Will bring back 5 deported to Bangladesh, verify citizenship

A curious turn in the federation rulebook

The dispute stems from a WFI selection policy issued on February 25 and a circular dated May 6, under which only medal winners from specified 2025 and 2026 national events would be eligible for the Asian Games trials.

The federation said past performances would not be considered, a move that effectively excluded Phogat, who has been away from competition since December 2024 and has been on a maternity-related break.

The court noted that the WFI had departed from its earlier practice of allowing reputed athletes to compete and said that “speaks volumes.”

Notices, reputations and a line too far

During the hearing, the bench took strong exception to the federation’s May 9 show-cause notice, which accused Phogat of indiscipline, anti-doping procedural violations and damaging the reputation of Indian wrestling.

The notice also said she was barred from WFI events until June 26. The court questioned the federation’s description of her Paris Olympics disqualification as a “national shame” and said it could not accept such a characterisation.

One of the judges also observed that “motherhood is celebrated in this country” while hearing her plea to return to the mat after giving birth in July 2025.

The sport ought not suffer

The judges also pressed the Centre to intervene more firmly, saying the sport should not be harmed because of institutional disputes.

The government counsel told the court that the Sports Authority of India framework allows relaxation of eligibility norms in certain cases, following which the bench said, “Ask the experts to evaluate her chances.. Ensure that she participates,” according to a Hindustan Times report.

The court had earlier asked whether the matter should be left to the federation at all, remarking, “Whatever may be the feud or dispute, why should the cause of wrestling suffer?”

Also Read | 'Totally baseless': CJI Surya Kant clarifies 'cockroaches' remarks row, blames misreporting

Late twist in the race to the Asian Games mat

Phogat has challenged the WFI’s selection policy and the show-cause notice, arguing that the revised eligibility criteria were designed in a way that shut her out of the trials.

The high court’s intervention came after it had earlier declined interim relief, making Friday’s hearing a significant turn in the contest over whether the wrestler can still compete for a place in the Asian Games squad.

Articles you may like: