🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

'I am not able to go home': UK doctor stopped at airport, stranded in India for more than a month over social media post

The complaint against Sangram Patil was because of a Facebook posting that had the potential to 'create hostility between various groups that support and oppose the BJP's ideology'

By Trisha Katyayan

Feb 21, 2026 12:57 IST

A British doctor of Indian origin has found himself stranded in India for over a month now after the police started investigating a social media post that was allegedly directed at a senior leader of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

Sangram Patil, a UK citizen who works for the National Health Service (NHS), was not allowed to board a plane back to London from Mumbai on January 19 when a lookout circular, which prevents people under investigation from leaving the country, was issued by the authorities, according to the BBC.

The reason for the investigation is that Patil allegedly posted "objectionable content" on Facebook, which he has denied and called the move against him "unlawful", reported BBC.

Also Read | How severely could ex-Prince Andrew’s arrest impact the Royal Family’s reputation?

Investigation and travel restrictions

The police started an investigation against Patil after a complaint was filed by Nikhil Bhamre, who is responsible for the social media activities of the BJP in the state of Maharashtra, on December 18, according to the BBC report. The complaint was against Patil because of a Facebook post that had the potential to "create hostility between various groups that support and oppose the BJP's ideology".

Authorities registered a case under provisions of India's criminal code related to statements allegedly containing false information that could promote enmity between communities. The offence is bailable and carries a maximum punishment of three years in prison.

Doctor challenges police action

Patil has approached a court seeking the cancellation of the case and removal of travel restrictions. The matter is scheduled to be heard next on February 27.

"My children and my job are in the UK. International law and Indian law give me the right to move freely. Restrictions have been imposed on that. I am not able to go home," he told BBC Marathi last week.

He said he was questioned for more than 10 hours upon arriving in Mumbai on January 10 and again for eight hours on January 16, adding that he had provided written responses to investigators. Being questioned for more than 20 hours over what he described as a single line online felt like "targeted harassment", he said.

Also Read | Former Prince Andrew's arrest linked to UK trade leak, not sex claims of Epstein files: Report

"My post is a simple question to government supporters and nothing else. It doesn't involve any community, any rumour or sensational news," Patil told BBC Marathi.

Police response and court proceedings

In an affidavit submitted on January 30, Mumbai police defended their actions, stating the investigation remained at a crucial stage and that "the possibility of an organised effort to malign constitutional authority cannot be ruled out".

Officials also questioned why a foreign citizen visiting India on a tourist e-visa had posted what they described as defamatory material about the prime minister while living abroad.

Patil has denied the allegations in court filings, stating that he "categorically denied" writing any post naming or referring to the prime minister and argued that "criminal prosecution cannot be founded on subjective political interpretation or perceived sentiment".

The UK's Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office confirmed it is supporting a British national in India and remains in contact with local authorities as the case continues.

Prev Article
How severely could ex-Prince Andrew’s arrest impact the Royal Family’s reputation?

Articles you may like: