Actor Rajpal Yadav addressed the media on Tuesday following his release from Tihar Jail after being granted interim bail in the ₹9 crore cheque bounce case. The Delhi High Court provided relief on Monday, days after the actor surrendered in connection with the unpaid debt. Speaking to reporters, Rajpal expressed gratitude to his supporters across the country and within the film industry.
A video shared by ANI on X (formerly Twitter), showed Rajpal surrounded by his lawyers as he thanked those who stood by him. He said, "I will complete 30 years in Bollywood in Mumbai in 2027. People from all over the country, children, old and young, are with me... The way the entire country and the world, my Bollywood, has loved me, if there are any allegations against me, I am available to answer. Thank you, High Court..."
#WATCH | Delhi: Actor Rajpal Yadav from Tihar Jail after he was granted interim bail in a cheque bounce case by the High Court
— ANI (@ANI) February 17, 2026
He says, "I will complete 30 years in Bollywood in Mumbai in 2027. People from all over the country, children, old and young, are with me... The way the pic.twitter.com/Zg1sYtzB0q
The Delhi High Court suspended his sentence in the cheque bounce cases till March 18 and allowed his release. It has been reported that Rajpal plans to hold a press conference to respond to queries regarding the case.
Court conditions
Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma granted interim bail on the condition that Rajpal deposit ₹1 lakh as a bail bond and furnish one surety. Earlier during the hearing, the court had directed him to deposit ₹1.5 crore by 3 PM for interim bail. After the complainant’s counsel, representing M/S Murli Project, confirmed that the amount had been deposited in the company’s bank accounts against the bounced cheque sum, bail was approved.
Rajpal will remain out of custody until the next hearing on March 18, by which time he is expected to clear the remaining dues to avoid serving his sentence.
ALSO READ | Rising DJ star Damiano Alberti dies at 23 after brave fight against cancer
Background of the case
The case dates back to 2010, when Rajpal borrowed ₹5 crore from Delhi-based Murali Projects Pvt Ltd to finance his directorial venture Ata Pata Laapata (2012). Following the film’s commercial failure, repayment issues arose. In April 2018, a Magisterial Court convicted Rajpal and his wife Radha under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act after seven cheques issued to the complainant bounced. He was sentenced to six months of simple imprisonment, a decision upheld by a Sessions Court in early 2019.
By October 2025, although Rajpal had deposited ₹75 lakh through two demand drafts, the court noted that a substantial portion of the liability remained unpaid. Earlier this month, Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma directed him to surrender, stating that leniency cannot be extended indefinitely, regardless of celebrity status.
On February 4, 2026, the court rejected his last-minute plea for a one-week extension to arrange funds, observing that he had failed to honour nearly 20 prior undertakings.