🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

India delays Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit amid growing Ebola crisis

India has postponed the Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit in New Delhi following the Ebola outbreak in parts of Africa and rising global health concerns.

By Surjosnata Chatterjee

May 21, 2026 23:39 IST

The upcoming Fourth India-Africa Forum Summit, which was scheduled to take place in New Delhi next week, has been postponed following growing concerns over the Ebola outbreak in parts of Africa.

The decision was taken after consultations between the Government of India, the Chairperson of the African Union and the African Union Commission regarding the evolving public health situation and the feasibility of holding the summit and related meetings.

According to a statement issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, fresh dates for the summit and associated events will now be finalised through mutual consultations and announced later.

India and Africa discuss health preparedness

The MEA said India and the African Union exchanged views on the evolving Ebola situation in parts of Africa and reaffirmed the importance of strengthening public health preparedness and response mechanisms across the continent.

Also Read | Why official vehicle number 13 still scares Kerala politicians

India also reiterated its support for Africa-led efforts to contain the outbreak, including cooperation with the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and relevant national health institutions.

“India and Africa reaffirmed their longstanding partnership founded on solidarity, mutual respect, South-South cooperation, and a shared commitment to peace, development, prosperity, and the well-being of their peoples,” the ministry said in its statement.



The postponement comes at a time when concerns are rising globally over the rapid spread of the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

WHO raises alarm over spread of rare Ebola strain

The World Health Organization has already declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern after suspected deaths and infections rose sharply over the past few weeks.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus recently warned about the “scale and speed” of the outbreak, saying the virus may have spread undetected for several weeks before confirmation.

According to WHO figures cited in the report, at least 139 suspected deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases have been recorded so far, while laboratory-confirmed infections have emerged in Congo’s Ituri and North Kivu provinces. Two confirmed cases have also been detected in neighbouring Uganda.

Health authorities say the current outbreak involves the Bundibugyo variant of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or targeted medicines.

India steps up preparedness measures

Although no Ebola case has been detected in India so far, the Centre has begun reviewing preparedness measures across states and Union territories. Union Health Secretary Punya Salila Srivastava chaired a high-level review meeting with health officials to assess surveillance systems, airport screening and quarantine readiness.

Also Read | Barrier-less toll misuse sparks debate as netizens demand strict penalties

India has also issued a health advisory for passengers arriving from or transiting through Ebola-affected regions, asking travellers with symptoms or exposure history to immediately report to airport health authorities before immigration clearance.

The postponement of the India-Africa summit underlines how the outbreak is beginning to affect major diplomatic and international engagements beyond the African continent.

Articles you may like: