US President Donald Trump has said he may not be able to attend the wedding of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr, because of the ongoing conflict involving Iran and the pressures surrounding his administration’s foreign policy challenges.
Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday, NDTV quoted Trump as saying that he would “try” to attend the ceremony but admitted the timing was difficult.
Donald Trump Jr, popularly known as Don Jr, is reportedly set to marry Bettina Anderson in the Bahamas this weekend in what has been described as a small private ceremony.
Also Read | New York’s LaGuardia Airport hit by major delays after sinkhole discovery
Trump cites Iran conflict and political pressure
Per NDTV, addressing questions about the wedding, Trump said, “He'd like me to go. It's going to be just a small little private affair and I'm going to try and make it.”
He then referred to the ongoing Iran conflict and added, “I said, 'This is not good timing for me. I have a thing called Iran and other things.'”
The US president also spoke about how his decision could draw criticism regardless of whether he attends the wedding or not.
“That's one I can't win on. If I do attend, I get killed. If I don't attend, I get killed -- by the fake news of course,” Trump said.
“Hopefully they're going to have a great marriage.”
Don Jr’s growing political profile
Donald Trump Jr. plays a major role in the Trump family business as executive vice president of The Trump Organisation and has remained one of the most vocal supporters of Trump’s MAGA political movement.
He has frequently appeared alongside his father during political events and public engagements. Earlier this month, Don Jr accompanied the president on a return trip to the White House from the Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.
Speculation around Don Jr’s future political ambitions has also continued to grow. Last year, he indicated he may consider a presidential run in the future, saying he could run for office “maybe one day.”
Trump’s second presidential term is scheduled to continue until January 2029, though he has not publicly named any preferred political successor so far.