Delhi has been put on high alert after receiving specific intelligence inputs about a possible terror attack planned by Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), officials said on Saturday. The assessment of the threat indicates that religious places could be the target, with a temple in the Chandni Chowk area, which is close to the Red Fort, being identified as a possible target.
Senior officials confirmed that the intelligence inputs have been found credible by the security agencies.
'Revenge' angle linked to Islamabad blast
According to intelligence sources cited by Press Trust of India, the alleged plot is being viewed as an attempt by the terror outfit to “avenge” a suicide bombing at a Shia Mosque in Islamabad on February 6, which killed at least 31 people.
Also Read | Terror plot targeting Delhi? Eight tied to ISI, Bangladesh arrested in alleged Lashkar-linked conspiracy
Pakistan has previously hinted at external involvement in the Islamabad attack, a charge India has firmly rejected. In an official statement earlier this month, the Ministry of External Affairs said Pakistan should focus on addressing its internal challenges instead of making "baseless and pointless" allegations against India.
Inputs point to possible IED attack
As per a report by Hindustan Times, at least two senior officers of the Delhi Police, speaking on condition of anonymity, said intelligence regarding possible attacks had first surfaced ahead of the Republic Day celebrations. While those alerts were assessed and monitored, fresh and more specific inputs received on Saturday indicate the possibility of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) being used.
Officials said these details have led to immediate tactical responses at sensitive locations across the city.
Security stepped up at sensitive locations
In response, security has been tightened at major religious places, heritage sites and crowded public areas. Central intelligence agencies and Delhi Police units are working in close coordination, with enhanced CCTV surveillance, intensified vehicle checks and additional foot patrols.
Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have been placed on standby at strategic points, officials told PTI. During recent Mahashivratri celebrations, a DCP-rank officer accompanied by commandos was deployed at the Gauri Shankar temple in Chandni Chowk as part of the preventive measures.
Authorities have stressed that the steps are precautionary but have urged citizens to stay alert and report any suspicious activity immediately.
Also Read | Red Fort on radar again? Delhi Police intensifies vigil amid Mahashivratri celebrations
Background of recent alerts
The present high alert is coming after a series of security threats in the capital. In November 2025, a car blast near Gate 1 of the Red Fort Metro station resulted in the death of more than 10 individuals, revealing a massive terror module. Earlier this year, intelligence agencies also pointed out threats from Khalistani and Bangladesh-based groups.
A report by ANI in January stated that Punjab-based gangsters are increasingly being used by extremist handlers abroad, with their presence in Delhi-NCR, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan.
For now, the city is under high surveillance, particularly in light of international events such as the AI Summit, which took place in Delhi this week.