🔔 Stay Updated!

Get instant alerts on breaking news, top stories, and updates from News EiSamay.

Red Fort on radar again? Delhi Police intensifies vigil amid Mahashivratri celebrations

Security agencies warn of a possible Lashkar-e-Taiba IED plot targeting Delhi’s Red Fort and key religious sites, months after a deadly car blast shook the capital. Red Fort on radar again? Delhi Police intensifies vigil amid Mahashivratri celebrations

By Shaptadeep Saha

Feb 21, 2026 17:36 IST

Delhi’s historic skyline, dominated by the imposing Red Fort, is once again under the shadow of a terror alert. Intelligence sources indicate that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba may be planning an improvised explosive device (IED) attack near the Red Fort and other prominent religious sites across the country, including a temple in Chandni Chowk. The alert has prompted heightened security measures in and around the national capital, as agencies race to prevent any attempt to destabilise communal harmony and public safety.

Also Read | Delhi on terror alert over suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba's plot to target temple near Red Fort: Report

Security tightened across key areas

As per a report by the Hindustan Times, intelligence inputs had suggested the possibility of similar terror attempts targeting temples near Red Fort and Chandni Chowk, officers said, requesting anonymity. With Mahashivratri celebrations recently concluded, the Delhi Police’s Special Cell had earlier stepped up security at religious sites across the city, especially Lord Shiva temples and event venues. As part of the reinforced security measures, a DCP-rank officer, accompanied by trained commandos and other Special Cell personnel, was stationed in and around the Gauri Shankar temple in Chandni Chowk on February 15, officials said.

“Although both inputs later were declared inconsequential, heightened security arrangements across the city are continuing in view of the ongoing AI Summit. Delhi is always on high alert as it reflects among the possible targets for terror attacks in intelligence inputs,” Hindustan Times quoted an officer as saying.

Even as agencies continue to verify and analyse the intelligence inputs, security presence has been increased at sensitive religious sites and busy public areas, PTI reported, citing officials.

A possible plot and its motive

According to sources citing security agencies, Lashkar-e-Taiba is allegedly seeking to avenge the February 6 suicide blast at a mosque in Islamabad that left 31 people dead and more than 160 injured. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for that attack, describing how a suicide bomber detonated explosives inside a Shi’a congregation.

Investigators believe the planned retaliation could involve an IED strike targeting symbolic and religious locations in India. While details remain classified, agencies are reportedly focusing on sensitive sites such as the Red Fort. It is a monument deeply woven into India’s national identity and religious establishments that draws heavy footfall.

Authorities have not publicly confirmed operational specifics but have intensified surveillance, intelligence coordination and on-ground deployment in vulnerable areas.

Also Read | International Mother Language Day: What are India's most unknown languages still spoken today?

Echoes of a deadly November blast

The fresh alert comes just three months after a devastating car explosion near the Red Fort Metro Station on November 10, 2025, killed 12 people and injured nearly two dozen. The blast, caused by a vehicle packed with explosives, set nearby vehicles ablaze and sent shockwaves through the capital.

Investigations later identified the driver as Umar Mohammad, alias Umar Un Nabi, a doctor associated with Al-Falah University in Faridabad. DNA analysis confirmed his identity. Authorities said the explosion occurred amid a broader crackdown, during which nearly 2,900 kg of explosives, including ammonium nitrate, were recovered in neighbouring Faridabad.

Several individuals, including Dr Muzammil Shakeel, Dr Adil Rather and others, were arrested in connection with the case. At least seven accused remain in custody, with judicial remand extended till March 13.

Prev Article
International Mother Language Day: What are India's most unknown languages still spoken today?
Next Article
'What is wrong will remain wrong': Swami Avimukteshwaranand reacts as UP court orders FIR against him in sexual exploitation case

Articles you may like: