Tulsi Gabbard has resigned as the United States Director of National Intelligence, citing her husbandās cancer diagnosis and the need to focus on family during his treatment.
The resignation was confirmed on Friday by President Donald Trump, marking the end of Gabbardās tenure as the countryās top intelligence official.
Also Read | Up to 30 US MQ-9 Reaper drones worth nearly '$1 billion' reportedly destroyed by Iran
I am deeply grateful for the trust President Trump placed in me and for the opportunity to lead @ODNIgov for the last year and a half.
— Tulsi Gabbard šŗ (@TulsiGabbard) May 22, 2026
Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026. My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare⦠pic.twitter.com/PS0Dxp5zpd
Duty steps aside as family takes the chair
Gabbard said her decision was driven by personal circumstances surrounding her husband Abraham Williamsās health. In a statement shared with US media outlets, Gabbard said her husband had recently been diagnosed with cancer and that she wanted to be by his side during treatment.
Trump acknowledged the resignation in remarks to reporters and on social media, thanking Gabbard for her service in his administration. āTulsi Gabbard has served our country with distinction,ā Trump said, according to Reuters. He also described her as āa fearless patriotā and wished her family well.
A Capitol Hill rebel turned intelligence insider
Gabbard, a former Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii who later became an independent political figure before joining Trumpās cabinet, had been appointed director of national intelligence earlier this year.
Her appointment drew national attention because of her sharp criticism of elements within the US intelligence establishment and her past foreign policy positions.
During her tenure, she oversaw coordination among multiple American intelligence agencies and briefed the president on national security developments.
Also Read | Trump says US will send 5,000 more troops to Poland amid Europe cuts
šØ JUST IN: President Trump puts out an INCREDIBLY supportive statement following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation due to her husband's bone cancer
— Nick Sortor (@nicksortor) May 22, 2026
"Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her."
"Her wonderful husband, Abraham, has been recently diagnosed with a rare form⦠pic.twitter.com/BOkVfzu1st
A vacant chair in rather uneasy times
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence has not yet announced who will serve as acting chief following Gabbardās departure. White House officials also did not immediately provide details on the timeline for selecting a replacement.
The resignation comes at a politically sensitive moment in Washington as the Trump administration continues to deal with several major foreign policy and security issues. However, reports across multiple outlets said Gabbardās departure was linked to personal reasons rather than policy disagreements or political disputes.
Gabbard has not indicated whether she plans to return to public office in the future. For now, her focus remains on supporting her husband through his treatment.